James L. Newman:
(rev. May, 2021)
Jim Newman is one of the country’s most experienced energy efficiency and green building experts. Known as the “Dean of Green,” Jim regularly speaks to professionals, student groups and the media about sustainability and green technology.
Jim is Owner/Managing Partner of Newman Consulting Group, LLC (NCG), headquartered in Farmington Hills, MI. He is a Certified Energy Manager (CEM), a LEED Accredited Professional for Building Design and Construction (LEED AP BD+C), an ASHRAE Distinguished Lecturer (DL), an Operations and Performance Management Professional (OPMP), a Building Energy Assessment Professional (BEAP), a Fellow of the Engineering Society of Detroit (FESD) and a Fellow of ASHRAE.
He has received many awards over the years, a few of which are Green Leader by Corp! Magazine and the Detroit Free Press, Sustainable Community Champion by EcoWorks, and several from ESD. His most recent were a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Detroit Chapter of BOMA (Building Owners and Managers Association) in 2019, and Fellow of ASHRAE IN 2021.
Speaker and Author:
· Internationally recognized speaker and writer on Indoor Air Quality, Energy Conservation, Green Design, Resilience and Sustainability, Efficient Operation and Maintenance
Contributions to the Industry:
· Participated as an energy auditor in the pilot program for the ASHRAE Building Energy Quotient (bEQ) Labeling Program to measure, verify and certify energy used by commercial and industrial buildings
· Member of committee that developed ASHRAE’s Energy Position Document for 2008, and Technical Committee that wrote new chapter on Climate Change in the 2021 ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals
· Past Chair of Detroit BOMA Chapter’s Committee on Sustainability, and instructor for BOMI on High-Performing Buildings
· LEED Project Administrator for many types of LEED-certified buildings in the U.S., as well as elsewhere in the world, with certifications ranging from Certified to Platinum
· Founding member and past Board Member of the Detroit Regional Chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC); teaches municipalities how to Green their cities and attract Green development
Jim is an active member of many technical societies. He is a trainer for ASHRAE Energy Standard 90.1, the basis for energy use in building codes in most states, and has trained hundreds of architects, engineers, code officials and contractors on the use of the Standard.
He received a BSME from Tufts University in Boston, MA, and continued his education for an MBA degree at the University of Detroit and Wayne State University in Detroit, MI.
About Newman Consulting Group (NCG):
NCG is an EPA Energy Star® and Rebuild Michigan® Partner. The Group works with architects, engineers, building owners and contractors throughout the world to design and construct more energy-efficient buildings to LEED and other sustainable guidelines. NCG also helps commercial and industrial building owners retrofit existing buildings so they use less energy – and save money - while maintaining or improving the indoor air quality.
With NCG’s assistance, architects and engineers design energy-efficient buildings that reduce utility bills, increase the value of owners’ buildings, and enhance the productivity of the building occupants. NCG also helps U.S. building owners apply for tax deductions, utility rebates and other assistance including Power Purchase Agreements (PPA) and funding under the PACE (Property Assessed Clean Energy) program.